Light Definition - Knowledgebase Question

Olympia, WA
Question by chiknboo
Are you ready for the bonehead question of the day? I would like to know the basics of lighting for all kind of plants whether house or outdoor. What do they mean when they say bright indirect light? (isn't that redundant?) What is the difference between northern light and southern light? Is there a certain amount of light per day that determines how it is categorized? I am completely confused... I don't know how I can sleep at night! ;-)

0

shade. 'Part shade' usually means protection from hot afternoon sun but exposure to early morning sun. The difference between northern light and southern light is the intensity and duration. South and west exposures are the most intense, north and east are slightly lower on the scale, but can provide bright enough light to keep many plants growing. Each garden is unique and many plants that reportedly don't like certain exposures may very well thrive in a garden when they shouldn't. Use the guidelines on the plant tags or in the catalog descriptions to help your place your plants in the garden so they'll receive the right exposure. Hope this clears some of the confusion! shade. 'Part shade' usually means protection from hot afternoon sun but exposure to early morning sun. The difference between northern light and southern light is the intensity and duration. South and west exposures are the most intense, north and east are slightly lower on the scale, but can provide bright enough light to keep many plants growing. Each garden is unique and many plants that reportedly don't like certain exposures may very well thrive in a garden when they shouldn't. Use the guidelines on the plant tags or in the catalog descriptions to help your place your plants in the garden so they'll receive the right exposure. Hope this clears some of the confusion!