Hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Saint Louis, Mi
Question by llo
I have a Hydrangea that is on it's 3rd season without blooming. When I purchased the plant in the fall it had blooms on it but it was near the end of the blooming season. It is planted close to two holly bushes and gets 65% shade/35% sun. Can you tell me the possible reasons? It has pretty leaves - no blooms.

0

Sometimes it takes several years to get hydrangea to flower. Hydrangeas prefer full sun or partial shade. Your bush may not be getting enough sunlight. Overfertilization with a fertilizer high in nitrogen can also cause problems. This can result in a lot of vegetative growth but little to no flowering. Don't use lawn fertilizer if there's grass around the shrub and apply a fertilizer high in phosphorus and potassium such as 5-10-10 in the spring being careful to follow instructions. Finally, if your bush doesn't bloom next year (its 4th), consider moving it to a sunnier site. Of course, moving them will disrupt flower production too, because transplanting disturbs the roots and sets the plant back. It may take a few years to recover but the plant should eventually bloom. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"