Geraniums - Knowledgebase Question

willow springs, Il
Question by mmadsmail
I planted geraniums in containers in early june. I haven't had any more blooms since the first blooms. I have fertilized. They were purchased at Home Depot.

I'm sorry your geraniums aren't producing more flowers for you. Here are some options: Removing spent blooms (when they do appear) will help. You should also make sure the plants are receiving plenty of sunshine (6 to 8 hours) and are kept evenly moist but not sopping wet. A regular fertilization program with a water soluble fertilizer for flowering plants and/or top dressing with compost every few weeks should also help. Finally, make sure the plants are planted in pots suited to their size and that they have been pinched back early in the season to encourage branching and bushiness. This last probably does the most to enhance multiple blooms at a time; another possible consideration would be to select a different named variety of geranium. In some cases the patented varieties do outperform the seedlings grown for mass bedding use. I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"