Heat Resistant Lettuce and Spinach? - Knowledgebase Question

Stamford, Co
Question by Lynnie870
I know there are heat resistant leaf lettuce varieties, but is there heat resistant spinach? And does that mean you can have lettuce all summer long? Even in 80-90 degree heat?

Thank you!
Lynn

0

Malabar 'Red Stem' and New Zealand tetragonia are warm-weather alternatives to "true" spinach.

There are two big obstacles to growing lettuce and spinach in the summer. One is the temperatures (seed won't germinate and plants really suffer), and the other is daylength (plants will try to bolt or send up seedheads when temps hit about 80) and the leaves taste bitter. I would wait to plant until things cool off. In addition to the above issues, stressed plants are more susceptible to pests and disease, which you don't want to encourage to visit your garden! You can fudge a little by starting seeds indoors and have them ready to go outside. If you want to try it, choose a heat-resistant variety and plant in a spot that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"