Lillies - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, Co
Question by dxjone2
my oriental lillies only grow about 6 inches and then stop.. this is the 2nd year in a row. my grandmother brought me some of hers and they did just fine. do you have any suggestions? I'm using miracle grow, have clay soil and live in denver.

0

Lilies have three basic cultural requirements: deep, loose, well-drained soil, ample moisture year round (plants never completely stop growing); coolness and shade at the roots, and sun or filtered shade at the tops where flowers form. Since you have clay soil, I'd advise amending it plentiful amounts of compost. In fall, you might want to lift the lilies, rework the soil and replant. Also, it wasn't clear to me if your lilies were 2 years old or had only stopped growing for the last 2 years. If they are old, they may need to be rejuvenated by division. How nice that your grandmother shared some of her plants!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"