drought resistant vine - Knowledgebase Question

San Bernardino, Ca
Question by hoopaha3
I need a desert vine that will grow on a chain link fence, that will not grow large thick branches to damage the fence. Flowers would be nice but not essential!

0

I'm assuming you want evergreen for screening. All of these are extremely drought tolerant, take full sun and are cold hardy to at least 20 degrees, some lower. Hope one of them works for your needs!

Cat's claw vine (Macfadyena unguis-cati) blooms in spring (yellow).

Lady Bank's Rose (Rosa banksiae) blooms in spring (white or creamy yellow depending on variety.) It's thornless.

Lilac vine (Hardenbergia violacea). blooms in February/March with narrow purple clusters, somewhat lilac-like.

Snail vine (Vigna caracalla). blooms in spring/summer with lavender flowers. Frost sensitive, but comes back.

Pink trumpet vine (Podranea ricasoliana) blooms in summer and fall. There are other trumpet vines also. They are very vigorous once established. Trumpet vines would need to be wound through the fence or tied to it.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"