Tomato plant trouble - Knowledgebase Question

Decatur, Ge
Question by juliehoffma
Hi, I have three tomato plants, that were all healthy and growing like crazy until a week ago. One suddenly looked wilty and died. Today, a second plant appears the same. I have not overwatered - any ideas? Both plants had just started growing fruit, so it's so sad to see them die!

0

It is sad! Unfortunately, tomatoes are subject to a variety of diseases, such as fusarium or verticillum wilt. The best way to prevent these diseases is to plant resistant varieties, which will have the letters F or V after the variety name. Southern bacterial wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum) affects many plants including tomatoes. It spreads through the soil. The best way to prevent it is with cultural practices such as cleaning up plant debris at the end of the season, rotating crops every season, and building healthy soil. Tomato plants are also fussy about moisture, they like consistent soil moisture, but not wet feet. So, you can see why tomatoes are so expensive in the store! I hope you have better luck with your next tomatoes.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"