clematis - Knowledgebase Question

Idaho Falls, Id
Question by kseamons
my clematis leaves are not dark greena as they have been. What do the neen? My soil has alot of clay.

0

Here?s some basic info on fertilizer and nutrients that plants require. The 3 numbers on a fertilizer bag refer to the percentage of N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus), and K (potassium) in the bag. There are different formulations for different purposes. In general terms, nitrogen produces lush green growth, phosphorus helps strengthen stems and produce flowers, and potassium keeps the root system healthy. If you're applying fertilizer to fruiting (e.g., tomatoes) or flowering plants, you're not as interested in the plant developing leaves as you are in it flowers and fruit, so you'd use a formulation lower in nitrogen and higher in phosphorus, such as 15-30-15.

Organic sources of nutrients:

Nitrogen: alfalfa meal, blood meal, coffee grounds, cottonseed meal, fish emulsion, seabird guano.
Phosphorus: bone meal, rock phosphate
Potassium: greensand, seaweed, kelp

Finally, layer an inch of compost around the base of the plant every year. As it decomposes, it will add nutrients to the soil and improve its organic matter content. Over time, you may not need to fertilize your clematis.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"