Begonias - Knowledgebase Question

Keller, Te
Question by debbie_k_hil
My begonias aren't growing this year. I planted them two months ago and they are the same size they were when I planted them. The edges of the leaves and blooms are brown. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

0

It sounds as if you've grown them before, so I'll assume they're in a shady exposure. How's your soil fertility? Begonias like rich, organic, moist, but well-draining soil. Did you add compost or other organic matter before planting? Spread 3-4 inches of organic matter over the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8 to 12 inches. The compost or other organic matter will help loosen the soil, encourage good drainage, and will release nutrients and the organic matter decomposes. Browning edges often signals salt burn or fertilizer burn, so make sure to water deeply with each irrigation, which leaches salts below the root zone, and don't overfertilize in the midst of summer heat. If you've given it all the proper conditions and it still won't grow, it may be that the root systems were damaged during transplant or failed to spread out into the soil.
I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"