Shade plant question - Knowledgebase Question

Hixson, Te
Question by sueoaks
I have an area at the end of my front porch that seems to only be able to grow moss. I'd like to outline the area with landscape blocks, fill in with dirt, plant shade loving plants(perennial preferably) and complete the look with wood chips. How deep do I need the fill dirt to be to support the root systems? The existing ground has lots of pebbles & rocks that seem to go on forever.

0

Perennial plant roots grow about 12 inches deep, so 12 inches of well-drained soil rich in organic matter would be good for your shade plants. A combination of 50 percent top soil and 50 percent compost would be good. Although the ground is rocky, try to loosen it as much as possible to improve drainage before adding the new soil. The idea is to not have an impenetrable barrier or vastly different soil profile. Good luck with your new garden.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"