knock-out roe bushes. - Knowledgebase Question

san antonio, Te
Question by hectormorale
some of my knock rosebushes are not doing well. have dryness on the tips of the leaves, not blooming a great deal, they get at least 5 hrs of sun, water regularly, fertilize with rose fertilizer. what am i doing wrong. some leaves even have a white powder. I though these roses were resistant to Texas bugs. help!

0

Powdery mildew appears as a whitish/greyish powder on foliage. It overwinters on living plants, and can be difficult to eradicate. There are some things you can do to minimize its effects.
Powdery mildew is unique among plant diseases in that it doesn't require a wet leaf surface to spread. It can thus thrive during hot, dry weather. The first line of defense is to grow resistant varieties.

Here are some general rules for helping control fungal diseases. Start by making sure that your plants are getting enough direct sunlight. Eight to ten hours a day is generally the minimum for plants that flower or bear fruit. Roses bloom best with full sun exposures, so 5 hours a day may be contributing to both the powdery mildew and lack of blooms.
You'll also want to make sure that there's enough room between plants for air to circulate freely. Overcrowding not only makes plants more susceptible to diseases, if leaves touch other plants, those diseases can easily be spread.
The general advice to inhibit the spread of fungal diseases is to avoid wetting leaf surfaces. In the case of powdery mildew, you can actually inhibit infection with periodic strong sprays of water (not so strong as to damage the
plant.) After the new growth of affected plants reaches about six inches long and UNTIL THE TEMPERATURE REACHES 90 degrees F, you may apply dusting sulfur to foliage every 14 days. If necessary apply fungicide. Fungicide works much better as a preventative measure, before the powdery mildew becomes a problem.

Brown tips may be a sign of salt burn or fertilizer burn. Salt burn shows up as yellowing, browning along leaf edges, and leaf drop. Deep watering?or leaching?prevents this by flushing the salts past the root zone. Always water slowly, deeply and as infrequently as possible. Be careful not to overfertilize in summer, which can burn roots. Follow package instructions exactly. I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"