Flowers - Knowledgebase Question

DETROIT, Mi
Question by GRANDIVA123
I planted tulips last fall that came out in beautiful colors this spring in about April-May but they died after a couple of weeks. I have no idea why?? Any ideas and tips for planting next season? Also, what can I plan now that's already in bloom that will last thoughout the rest of the summer? I love bright colors.

0

Your tulips did what they are supposed to do. They bloom for a short season in the spring. When flower stalks are dead, it's okay to cut them off at the base, but allow the foliage to remain, dying back on its own, because it is storing nutrients to the bulb for next year's growth.

Annuals are plants whose life cycle (vegetative growth, bloom, seed set) is completed in a single growing season. The plant dies at the end of the cycle and a new generation begins with seed germination.

Perennials are plants that usually grow foliage the first year and bloom the second, although some may bloom the first year. They live for several or many years and as they grow into large clumps can be divided.

Annual flowers tend to have longer bloom seasons than perennials, which usually flower for a few weeks or a month. Annuals to plant now that take heat and sun include sunflowers, zinnia, cosmos, gaillardia, petunia, salvia, vinca, tithonia, black-eyed Susan, portulaca, celosia, globe amaranth, verbena, four o?clock, and lisianthus. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"