Chipmunks - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by jachanin
My three Daschund dogs are constantly digging after chipmunks. My yard is a Nationally Certified Wildlife Habitat and my dogs are doing what they were bred to do. I don't want to kill the chipmunks, I just want them to go elsewhere. Is there any solution?

0

You are between a rock and a hard place on this one! I'd think they'd go away just to get away from the dogs, but evidently your wildlife habitat is most inviting. Have you tried flashing deterrents, such as pie tins on string, or bird scare tape? You have to keep moving it around, or they'll get used to it. Owl statues sometimes help, but again, you need move it, too. Other options include electric mesh fencing, spraying plants with hot pepper wax (found in many garden centers), surrounding your garden with a slippery, angled sheet of plastic or other surface, so they can't climb, etc. Here are some more details about controlling nuisance chipmunks if you decide it is necessary. http://muextension.missouri.ed.... Best of luck!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"