aphids - Knowledgebase Question

Cupertino, Ca
Question by jwbran
Last year my corn got totally covered with aphids. I have beautiful healthy plants so far this year and want to knw how to prevent aphids from attacking later in the season.
Thank you.

0

I always start with the simplest method first, and if that isn't successful, move on from there. Aphids are fairly easy to control with a blast of water from the hose. Ladybugs and their larvae are voracious eaters of aphids. They often "arrive" a week or two after the aphids, so not spraying with chemicals is a good idea if you'd like to attract them to your garden to consume aphids for you. The insecticidal soaps are made from plant-derived fatty acids and target soft-bodied insects like aphids. There's really no way you can target the bad guys without fallout on the good guys. If you can regularly monitor and tolerate some damage to your plants, over time Mother Nature strikes a balance, with the beneficials coming in to control the bad guys. Healthy vigorous plants will withstand insect attacks best, and it's really the best thing you can do to provent insect problems, and it sounds like you're already doing that!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"