How do I know when root vegetables are ready to harvest? - Knowledgebase Question

Studio City, Ca
Question by wendy764
I'm pretty new to vegetable gardening. I planted white + red onion sets, fennel, radishes and beets. The radishes are dong fine. The fennel and beets are from seeds as well. How do I know when the beets, fennel and onions are ready to harvest without actually digging down to check? How long should I expect the fennel and beets to take before they're ready for harvest? I'm drowning in radishes!

0

Start by checking the "days to maturity" on the seedpack for a pretty good estimate of when veggies are ready to harvest. Actual timing varies a bit for different growing conditions around the country, but it's close. Lightly brush away soil on the "shoulders" of the root crops to see their size. If they look good, pull one to check it out! If you don't have a seedpack, you can find the info in catalog descriptions. Days to maturity may also vary for different varieties within a vegetable class, such as beets. Good luck with your harvest.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"