Raspberries - Knowledgebase Question

West Richland, Wa
Question by ryrischlaw
We have absolutely no trouble growing our tomatos, and zuchinni. Last year I tried plant raspberry starts, and they died immediately. This year the same thing happened. OUr watermelon starts also are not making it. We tried putting acidic fertilizer in the soil, but it doesn't seem to be helping.?? Any suggestions.

0

Review the advice from the National Gardening Association on getting raspberries off to a good start: http://www.garden.org/articles....

As for the watermelon, it's a bit perplexing since your zuchinni, another vining crop with similar requirements, is performing. You might try incorporating more compost into the soil to help retain moisture and provide nutrients as it decomposes. Watermelon vines are moisture dependent, so make sure to water deeply through the root zone with each watering, don't lightly sprinkle the top of the soil. But don't overwater, as roots need oxygen to thrive. Watermelon seeds germinate easily when soil temps are warm, so you might try planting from seed and see if that works out better. I hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"