Watering Asparagas - Knowledgebase Question

Live Oak, Ca
Question by shogan68
I planted asparagas this spring and it is coming up well. Temperatures average over 90 degrees in the summer. How much do I water during the summer? Do not plan to harvest until the third year.

0

Asparagus beds should be consistently moist during summer. How often to water depends on your particular soil's characteristics and weather. You want to keep it uniformly moist, but not soaking wet, to a depth of about 12 inches. To determine how far water has penetrated, poke a soil probe (any long metal rod or screwdriver) into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil, stopping abruptly where soil is dry. Layer a few inches of compost on the bed to maintain soil moisture and reduce soil temperatures. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"