the falling leaves........ - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ne
Question by artjtom
The falling leaves of fall..Can I pile them in my shrubs and garden area for protection over the winter? and do I remove them in the Spring time? Can I subsitute the falling leaves for mulch? Confused..I am...please advise how leaves can benefit me. Thanks.

0

You can use your bounty of leaves as mulch over your soil, you can pile them up over your plants for winter protection, and you can stockpile them and use them to create a compost pile. In the spring you can gently brush the leafy mulch away from the crowns of your plants so they can reach the sunlight. The only real caution about using leaves or any other mulch material is that you don't want to pile it up against the trunks of your trees. It can hold too much moisture next to the bark and cause rot. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"