orchids - Knowledgebase Question

New Bedford, Ma
Question by captdonalddu
I over watered my orchids and all the blooms fell off. One of the stems started to turn brown, so I cut it just below where it was brown. will they come back? or have I doomed them?

0

There are many types of orchids available, but most will thrive under the same growing conditions. Orchids like a day temperature of about 70F during the summer and 60F during the winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Cool nights are important to the health and flowering ability of your plant. Orchids require 10-15 hours of light each day, so you may need to supplement natural light with artificial light during the winter months when the days are short. Orchids like moist soil and appreciate being misted once or twice each day. To increase humidity around the plant, place the pot on a layer of rocks in a tray of water. As the water evaporates it will provide moist, humid conditions around your plant. Try adjusting the growing environment and your orchids may recover and begin blooming for you.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"