coral bells - Knowledgebase Question

morristown, Te
Question by meadjam
one clump of my coral bells has been red in previous years, but this year the blooms are colorless. any ideas?

0

It might be a nutrient deficiency or response to stress, although I'm not familiar with this problem related to coral bells. (You may have heard of hydrangea flower color changing related to soil ph). Or that the plant was developed from crossing various colors and the genetically stronger one took over. It is common for saved seed to produce a plant that is not the same as the parent, especially if the parent was a hybrid. In many cases the color, size, or habit of the new plant will resemble the species more than the parent plant. Any chance such an interloper took over that spot? I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it's one of those mysteries that makes gardening interesting!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"