Newly Planted Orange Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Bullhead City, Ar
Question by turkeyndweas
I planted in May

0

The fact that it's not growing so soon after transplant isn't unusual. Most plants suffer from some transplant shock where they don't do much until they get their roots established. Effective watering is the most crucial thing to get your new citrus through its first summer. Citrus trees thrive on consistent moisture, so apply enough water slowly and deeply to thoroughly soak the root mass. The water should soak as deeply as the size of the rootball when you planted it, and be applied at the outer reaches of the canopy edges or dripline. How often to water depends on your soil characteristics, rainfall and weather. As a guideline for trees in the ground less than one year, water every 5 to 7 days from May through October, every 14 days from Nov through Jan and every 10 days from Feb through April. These intervals will increase as your tree matures. Use a soil probe to help determine how often to apply water (such as a pointed stick or metal rod) and poke it into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil and stop at dry soil. As trees mature, be sure to water out to their canopy or drip line, where new roots are growing. To keep water from evaporating too quickly, mulch over the entire root area, but don't let mulch rub against tree bark. I wouldn't worry about the mulch gnats. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"