lawn mushrooms - Knowledgebase Question

Sparks, Ne
Question by chashorsey
I live in Reno, and these days the temp is 88-100. My sprinklers run for 10 min/station at 4am and the same at 8am. From time to time I will let the sprinklers go off for about 5 min/station between 7 and 9pm. Could that evening h2o be enough to have mushrooms in my lawn? If not what's causing it and how do I keep them from growing?

0

Mushrooms are probably growing because there's something underground that's decomposing. Usually a thick layer of thatch, an old tree stump, tree roots, organic matter, or even leftover wood from construction are causes for mushrooms growing on the soil surface. You can dig up the debris (if mushrooms seem to come up in one spot), or you can just rake up the mushrooms before they mature and release spores (that will produce more mushrooms). Dispose of the mushrooms in the trash rather than tossing them into your compost bin. Mushrooms can also be a result of poor nutrition and poor drainage in your lawn. Rake to remove the mushrooms, then put your lawn on a regular maintenance schedule. You may need to aerate the lawn to remove decomposing thatch and help with the compaction problem. Fertilize with a 3-1-2 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium, applying one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn per year. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"