Queen Palms - Knowledgebase Question

Carlsabd, Ca
Question by stolzerpa
Why are the new home depot queen palms I planted turning brown at the tips. Some brown tips are new growth, others are at the very tallest frons. I am in northern san diego county in southern california

0

Any new plant will need an adjustment period once you bring it home and transplant it, which often shows up as yellowing or browning on leaves. Queen palms are tropical plants that need careful watering in our drier climate. Water deeply but infrequently, allowing the soil to dry just a bit in-between. When soils are too moist, palms are unable to absorb nutrients, which can result in pale yellow fronds. Apply water two to three feet away from the palm?s trunk. It should soak two to three feet deep. The interval will depend on the season: once every seven to 10 days in summer; once every three to four weeks in winter.

Our salty soils also interfere with the absorption of nitrogen and iron (which creates green fronds). Adding a three-inch layer of organic mulch on top of the soil will slow evaporation, cool the soil and add nutrients back into the soil as it decomposes. The addition of soluble soil sulfur will help lower the pH just a bit which should help with the absorption of nutrients. Hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"