Gardenia Tree Won't Bloom - Knowledgebase Question

fayetteville, No
Question by dlewis23
i recently planted a gardenia tree in my back yard just bedide the steps to my deck. I already have 2 other gardenia bushes that bloom like champs and have no issues! This new addition to my gardenia family produces buds, but when they are getting ready to bloom they turn black and fall off.

0

You've pinpointed the most difficult part of growing gardenias: getting those buds to open. The plants require high humidity and lots of water. Gardenias are finicky, and any change of location or humidity or sun can set them back. The fact that this one was recently transplanted is a likely cause. Spider mites can also cause bud distortion, and mites also thrive in dry conditions. Look on the undersides of the leaves for tiny black specks and whitish webbing. If you find the mites, use insecticidal soap or a neem-based insecticide to control them. Routine misting with water also helps raise the humidity and control mites. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"