My Key Lime's - Knowledgebase Question

Winter Springs, Fl
Question by creganterry
I purchased 2 key lime (dwarf) trees from Home Depot last year, and received alot of fruit, the trees/bushes are thriving, however, no fruit, no flowers. Can you explain this or tell me something I can do to help them along?

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! Citrus trees usually take several years or more to develop a consistent fruit crop, so since your trees are otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry. Citrus trees thrive on consistent moisture, so apply enough water slowly and deeply to thoroughly soak the root mass. This is at least 2 feet deep for young trees, 3 feet for mature trees (in the ground 4 years or more). How often to water depends on your soil characteristics, rainfall and weather. Use a soil probe to help determine how often to apply water (such as a pointed stick or metal rod) and poke it into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil and stop at dry soil. As trees mature, be sure to water out to their canopy or drip line, where new roots are growing. To keep water from evaporating too quickly, mulch over the root area. This will also help suppress weeds. Citrus are also heavy "feeders." Apply fertilizer three times per year, using 1/3 of their total annual nitrogen requirements. Apply in Jan/Feb, April/May, and Aug/Sept. Follow package instructions and water thoroughly after fertilizing. If possible, use a citrus fertilizer so it will have the appropriate nutrient ratio and you can simply follow package instructions. If you are growing your limes in containers, you will need to water and feed more regularly. (Frequent watering leaches nutrients out of the container soil.) Hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"