day lilies - Knowledgebase Question

Derby, Ne
Question by gbacarothers
I have day lilies in my garden and they bloom but not very long. I also pick off the dead heads. Sometimes a big black pod is at the end. What am I doing wrong?

0

You aren't doing anything wrong. Most daylilies have relatively short bloom periods, where they bloom all at once, and then are done for the season. That big black pod is a seed pod, it's supposed to be there. If you don't like the look of them, deadhead all flowers when they are done blooming. Finally, sometimes flowering will decrease if plants are too crowded. Daylilies benefit from division every 3 to 5 years. Some daylilies are known for their longer bloom season, such as Stella d'Oro. You might want to add some to increase your blooming season. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"