tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

palm harbor, Fl
Question by hopeybabeone
my tomatoes are crapping out. after they stop producing should i take them out and replace them? is it to hot? should i wait till it gets cooler or what?

0

Tomatoes are moisture sensitive and need a regular supply of water to thrive and produce fruit. How often to water depends on your particular soil's characteristics and weather. You want to keep it uniformly moist, but not soaking wet, to a depth of 12-18 inches. To determine how far water has penetrated, poke a soil probe (any long metal rod or screwdriver) into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil, stopping abruptly where soil is dry. Layer an inch of mulch, such as compost or straw, around plants to maintain soil moisture and reduce soil temperatures. Tomato plants also struggle in extreme heat and can benefit from shade cover. However, if your plants seem goners, and you don't want to fuss, you can take them out, but there's no point in replanting now. Tomato pollen isn't viable much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. Wait to replant until late summer/early fall. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"