Mint - Knowledgebase Question

Canton, Mi
Question by garyoswell
I have mint growing in my lawn and in my flower beds. How do I get rid of it?

0

Mint is a formidible plant and is categorized as a weed. Because the plant sends out underground runners in all directions, it's built for survival. If you pull out as much as possible, raking the soil for small root pieces, and then put down thick mulch or weed barrier fabric, you can control it, but it really can't be eradicated, even with chemicals, unless you dig out every tiny remnant of root, which can grow and start the process all over again. Whenever you see it popping up, pull it up as best you can. Weed barrier fabric will only encourage it to grow beneath the fabric until it reaches the sunlight, but at least it will only emerge at the edges of the weed fabric and not in the middle of the bed. Once the weed fabric is in place you can cut holes to plant your plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"