gardenias - Knowledgebase Question

Salt Lake City, Ut
Question by fedderson_fa
How do I get my gardenia plant to blossom. I have had buds for a month without any flowers opening up?

0

You've pinpointed the most difficult part of growing gardenias: getting those buds to open. The plants require high humidity and lots of water, two conditions that we don't have in the Mountain West. Gardenias are finicky, and any change of location or humidity or sun can set them back. Spider mites can also cause bud distortion, and mites also thrive in dry conditions. Look on the undersides of the leaves for tiny black specks and whitish webbing. If you find the mites, use insecticidal soap or a neem-based insecticide to control them. Routine misting with water also helps raise the humidity and control mites. I also recommend sinking a few small containers of water into the soil around the plant. As the water evaporates, it will humidify the air immediately around the plant. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"