Rose buds do not open up - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by smisiulis
In all my years of gardening I have never had a year where most of the roses do not open up their buds. I have almost flowerless roses, the other perennials are doing Ok. The rose bushes look healthy, what is wron, thank you.

0

How frustrating! Bud blast is the drying up and failure of flower buds to open. It's a physiological condition with many possible causes, such as root injury, cold soil, high temperatures during cloudy weather, dry conditions during formation, a lack of potassium in the soil, or excessive shading. Do you think any of these conditions are present? Did you have unusual weather this spring and early summer? It is also possible that the organic matter content, nutrient balance (and possibly pH) in the soil have changed over the years and it needs to be reworked or adjusted. I would suggest you run some basic soil tests and see. Your county extension should be able to help you with the tests and interpreting the results. Good luck with your roses!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"