Rabbits are feasting in my gardens - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by smisiulis
My husband did not get around to put the wire around some of my landscaping flowers and I am loosing my prettiest to rabbits. What to do, thank you

0

Get your husband out there with the wire fence! It's hard--the bottom line is that the bunnies are hungry and you planted a salad bar in their territory. NGA's Charlie Nardozzi includes solutions for animal pests in his book "Vegetable Gardening for Dummies." To keep rabbits out he recommends installing a 2-foot high fence made of 1 1/2 inch mesh around individual plants or a garden. The bottom should be tight to the ground or buried 12 inches. There are a number of animal repellent sprays that would help deter rabbits from eating the flowers. However, they need to be reapplied to remain effective. How often depends on weather, rain, etc. With animals, we typically need to keep trying and rotating different options. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or dusty miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. I hope some of these ideas will work for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"