Grubs in Compost - Knowledgebase Question

CENTRAL, So
Question by gb4evrn2
I have a compost bin and I keep getting what look like grubs. I only put leaves, vegetables and fruts in there, nothing cooked, no bread cakes, etc. This happened when I had a pile on the ground also. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix it?

0

You are not doing anything wrong! You actually have a successful compost pile. Grubs are some of the many creatures that are doing the work of breaking down your organic matter. They usually appear when the compost is fairly decomposed and "rich." There are numerous types of grubs (larvae of beetles) and they come in various sizes depending on the type of beetle. Sometimes turning compost more often and/or using it as soon as it cools rather than warehousing it in the finished state can help reduce the number of them. Covering the pile with a tarp may also help so beetles can't lay their eggs. Screening the compost and feeding them to the birds is a good solution, too.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"