Canna Leaves Browning - Knowledgebase Question

Madison, Mi
Question by sdivineor
My Cannas are blooming; however, some of the leaves look like they are fried with brown specks and appear to be dry. I have them in a place that drains well and they get plenty of water. But, my leaves look like their burnt/diseased.

0

If cannas are stressed for water especially during warm weather, while the flowers are forming the leaves often turn brown and dry. Wind and hot afternoon sun (although they are sun lovers) can also contribute. Water the cannas so that the soil is moist to a depth of six inches every few days during hot, dry conditions. However, since you say your plants are well-watered, another possibility is that they have a canna virus (Canna Yellow Mottle Virus) that damages foliage, and is negatively impacting canna collections and growers worldwide. Unfortunately, there is no cure. You can compare photos at this site http://www.hartcanna.com/virus....

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"