Cucumbers - Knowledgebase Question

Madison, Mi
Question by sdivineor
I don't want to use chemicals in my garden. A white catapillar is eating my cucumber vines. What natural potion can I create that will keep them away?

0

The squash vine borer affects vining crops, in particular squash and pumpkin. Adult moths lay eggs on stems near the plant base. After the eggs hatch, white caterpillars with brown heads tunnel into the stems to eat. They cause vines to wilt, even though they are well-watered, and eventually the plant will die. Look for entry holes and sawdust-like droppings at the base of the plants. Slit the stem lengthwise from the hole toward the tip of the vine and remove the caterpillar. Cover the stem with soil and it will reroot. To prevent them, in early summer, cover the plants with a floating row cover until flowers appear, which helps stop the moths from laying eggs.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"