Bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Sheldon, Mi
Question by riine_riine
Last year my big maple tree was doing fine but after i put a bird feeder on it this spring-leaves are small and covered with red and black bumps.Did the birds brought the bugs?Also my gladioulas under that tree dont blossom,they get ready to but then the buds just try out.Other flowers dont seem to be effected.Is this problem connected?With what should i spray the tree?

0

Actually just the opposite is true ? birds are very good at keeping bugs away. What you describe on your maple tree leaves sound like galls. Little mites damage the leaves when they feed and the result is a gall. The galls won?t hurt the leaves of your maple tree, they just make the leaves look odd. Some years are worse than others for galls so you may not even see it again for a few years. Nothing can be or should be done other than to rake up the fallen leaves in the autumn. The maple leaf gall insect won?t harm your gladiolus. Good luck with your landcape.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"