Yellowing Daylillies - Knowledgebase Question

baltimore, Ma
Question by amckeever9
Every year my daylillies leaves begin yellowing and dying creating an unsightly mess, while others in the neighborhood look robust. Should I be concerned? What causes it?

0

Yellow leaves can be caused by many things including lack of nitrogen, insufficient light, water-logged soil (plant roots need oxygen to thrive), dry soil, or iron deficiency. If the older bottom leaves are yellow, but new growth is green, it's usually a lack of nitrogen. If new leaves are yellow, with green veins, it's usually a lack of iron. (Lack of nitrogen is a more common problem than lack of iron.) Soil should be kept moderately moist (but not wet). Try to isolate each of these possibilities one at a time to determine the problem. It could also be that they are too crowded and could benefit from division if this hasn't been done for 3 to 4 years. I hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"