pruning lavender - Knowledgebase Question

Roanoke, Vi
Question by misssj
when should I prune lavender? some are leggy with no growth on lower stems. how short do I cut the stems back? Thanks, Sharon Johnson

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! It's best to prune in early spring when new growth is apparent and growing vigorously. Then trim away any winter damaged wood and shape lightly. At this point, I'd suggest removing no more than one third of plant, getting rid of those the leggy stems, cutting them back to the base, which will give room for air circulation and sunlight to rejuvenate the bush. You may trim them again for shaping right after they bloom, usually all that is needed at that point is a light trim to remove the faded flowers and encourage additional bushiness. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"