Wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Kim Hatton
NEWNAN, Ge
Question by kimhatton
I planted my Wisteria three years ago; they have never bloomed. I have fed them and even pruned them - per The Martha Stewart Show, but nothing!

0

Wisteria can be so stubborn! But you're in good company. Many folks have difficulty getting wisteria to produce flowers. Sometimes wisteria won't bloom for 7 years! Proper pruning can help achieve your goal. A few other tips to keep in mind: Remember that wisteria needs full sun, and, if you have an unnamed seedling rather than a grafted variety, it may take decades to achieve bloom! When fertilizing wisteria, be careful with your choice of fertilizers, I stick to a superphosphate. Now, for the pruning: All through the summer, prune out the tips of all new shoots when they reach 12" long. In the winter, shorten the shoots again so that about 6 buds remain on each shoot. Cut away all suckers that appear at the base of the plant. Hope your wisteria blooms next season!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"