How to care for an orchid? - Knowledgebase Question

westbury, Ne
Question by dusty1119
I just received an orchid as a gift, it was watered on the day I received it.What care will it need? would it do OK on a low light screened in porch?

0

Orchids are some of the most popular and rewarding houseplants! There are many, many kinds, each with different requirements, but here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Some orchids will rebloom on the same stem so I would leave the stem alone. If it does not flower again, the stem will die and you can then cut it off. A new flowering stem will emerge when your orchid is ready to flower again. Orchids bloom best when they are rootbound so don't be in a hurry to repot it. Wait until next year and then find a container just slightly larger than the current one and use wood chip based orchid mix potting soil. Enjoy your new orchid!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"