Eureka and Meyer Lemon Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Charles Town, We
Question by asemena
I have several of these in pots which I pamper regularly. However, the lemons have begun to fall off prematurely. I move them from outside to in during periods of cold weather. Any suggestions?

0

It's normal for Meyer lemon trees to drop some of their fruits to bring the number of developing fruits on line with the capacity of the tree to mature it. This often happens about a month after bloom, when the fruits are about the size of peas, and again in early summer, when the fruits are about the size of golf balls. So what you're seeing maybe simply part of the natural cycle of the tree. If you are moving it from outside to inside frequently, that abrupt change in light and temperature may also lead to some fruit drop. Meyer lemons do benefit from spending the winter outside, but don't need to be brought back inside until early fall when the temperatures are in the high thirties- before frost. So you don't need to move them inside due to the normal summertime temperature fluctuations. Also keep the soil in your containers evenly moist, but not soggy and don't let water stand in the saucers under the pots for more than 30 minutes after watering.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"