Grass dying off after leaving clippings behind - Knowledgebase Question

Fair Lawn, Ne
Question by leoskee
I started using a push reel mower as an attempt to be a little greener. Now, my once lush and green grass is dying off. I have developed a deep layer of thatch. What can I do about this an still try to be green?

Thank you,

Leo

0

If the grass is long when you mow, the clippings will take a long time to decompose. While they are sitting on the lawn they are shading the grass from sunshine. And, as they are decomposing they are generating heat. Both of these conditions can cause the lawn underneath to turn yellow. The way to avoid this, and to avoid the excessive thatch build up, is to mow your lawn more frequently so that the clippings are small - a half inch or less. If they are longer than that you can make a second sweep over your lawn with the mower, recutting the clippings into even smaller pieces. The smaller the clippings the faster they will decompose. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"