Coco hanging baskets - Knowledgebase Question

Round Lake Beach, Il
Question by anncdouglas
Everytime I water my annuals that are planted in coco hanging baskets the water just pours through them... any suggestions on how to better water them? The plants are starting to look terrible. Thanks!

0

The coco fiber is the liner of the basket, so if the water pours through, it makes me think that perhaps you have too lightweight a planting mix in the baskets. Another possibility is that, if the planting mix dried out at any point, it may have pulled away from the sides of the liner and when you irrigate, the water just pours down between the rootball and the liner. If this is the case, try submerging the entire basket in a big tub of water to really soak the soil, then push the moistened soil back to the edges of the basket. Although it's too late to do this year, next year consider lining the coco liner on the inside with some plastic into which you've punched some drainage holes. This way, the soil won't lose water quite so fast. You might also want to try mixing in some water-absorbing polymer crystals, available at a garden center. They will also help the soil hold onto moisture.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"