Evergreen clematis - Knowledgebase Question

Dallas, Te
Question by livesay7
My evergreen clematis is growing over my front door & gets alot of sun & some shade. It is not flowering. How do I get it to flower? I read that it does not like much fertilizer.

0

Its best to plant your Clematis where the tops will be in full sun and the roots will remain cool and moist, and it sounds like you have the exposure portion in good shape here. It may help to mulch the soil heavily over the root area. Clematis need constant moisture and regular feeding to keep them growing vigorously. Your clematis should blossom during the spring months. Although, because it will take them a full season to become established before they're ready to put out new growth, you will need them planted and growing at least a year. Prune after flowering, remembering that it will bloom only on the previous year's wood so be careful where you prune. Thin the center of the plant, and pinch out some of the growing tips on the vines to keep the plant under control. Hope this helps and good luck!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"