Hydrangreas fungus - Knowledgebase Question

North Charleston, So
Question by kaseals
How can I get rid of fungus in my hydrangeas? It seems to comeback every year (brown spots). How can I prevent it from coming back next years? Thanks

0

The Brown Spotting on a Hydrangea you describe sounds like typical behavior from a hydrangea that gets hot afternoon sunshine. Although plant tags will suggest hydrangeas will grow in full sun, most droop when exposed to afternoon sunshine. They typically perk up by the next morning. If you want your hydrangea to look happy and healthy, move it to a spot that receives morning sun (some sun is essential for flowering), but is protected from hot afternoon sunshine. Until you can move it, cut off the prematurely aging blossoms as soon as they begin to develop brownish petals. Hydrangeas like moist, but not soggy soil. Daily watering may be a bit too much for your plant. Soils that are saturated won't have any oxygen in them and can suffocate the roots. Rather than watering every day, try watering deeply every 3-4 days. Best wishes with your hydrangea!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"