growing tomatos - Knowledgebase Question

cheektowaga, Ne
Question by jolkowski
I planted tomato plants and for the first two weeks they were doing fine, but with in the last week the look wilted and dying. We have had quite a bit of rain so i know they are getting water, I also put Miracle-Gro on them but to no avail. Help.

0

There are several diseases that can cause tomatoes plants to look wilted. Two of these are soil borne diseases, called Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt. In both cases the wilting starts with the bottom leaves turning yellow, wilting and dying. Eventually the entire plant wilts. When you slice open the stem length-wise near the soil line, you'll see that the tissue 1/8-inch beneath the outside of the stem is tan or dark brown. If you think this is the problem, the only thing to do is to pull uup and destroy the plants and put your tomatoes in a different spot in the garden next year. Look for varieties that have an 'F' and/or a 'V' after their name, as this indicates that they are resistant to these diseases. It is also possible that your plants are infected with a fungus disease. The disease called late blight was a big problem all over the northeast last summer. These fungal diseases usually start as spots on the leaves. This URL will take you to a link with excellent color pictures to help you figure if fungal disease is a problem and what you can do about it: http://www.longislandhort.corn....

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"