Mandevilla Leaves Browning - Knowledgebase Question

SUMMERFIELD, Fl
Question by gracegil
I bought a very healthy looking white Mandevilla. I left it in the pot for 3 weeks and then transplanted into the ground. After just a few days, the leaves gradually turned brown, got very crisp, and fell off. I do not see any green growth even at the base of the plant. What should I do?

0

I'm sorry to hear your mandevilla is struggling. It sounds like transplant shock, as being moved in the midst of summer heat can be rough on a root system. Mandevilla does best in full sun with very fertile, moist but well drained soil. Does that sound like where you have it now? Also, did you fertilize? It would be best if you didn't as feeding in the heat can also burn roots and cause the symptoms you describe. At this point, keep the area moist, perhaps adding a layer of compost or mulch, and if the roots are still alive, the mandevilla will resprout. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"