Yellowed Leaves with Holes - Knowledgebase Question

White Lake, Mi
Question by babs26
About 3 weeks ago, I planted a Double Purple Althea (Hibiscus syriacus Double Purple) in a sunny spot in my back yard. In the last week, I have noticed that some of the leaves have holes in them, which are actually

0

Yellowing leaves on hibiscus is usually due to either over or under watering. Even a brief period of soggy soil can result in root damage and yellowing leaves. Low fertility levels in the soil may also result in yellowing of older leaves of hibiscus. When growth resumes in spring, start feeding the plants periodically and keep them moist but not soggy. But, if the yellowing is on the oldest, lowest leaves, toward the bottom and inside the shrub, that's normal. As for the insect damage, please take a cutting to the garden center or local extension office to identify the problem and corrective solution. In the meantime, try insecticidal soap on the plant to avoid any future damage by insects. Good luck with your hibiscus!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"