Cleaning an outdoor rug - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Elaine
Sarasota, Fl
The one constant in life is change
Question by dyzzypyxxy
My outdoor rug is growing black algae in the areas where it is out of the sun. What can I use to clean it?

0

Power washing will remove the growth, and is the safest method to use. I wouldn't rent a power washer for a small carpet unless there happens to be some other cleaning that can be down around the exterior of the home such as power washing the siding or the driveway. The chemical zinc chloride is registered for use against moss and algae on concrete, bricks and wooden decks, so perhaps would work for your outdoor rug, but it is toxic to plants, so don't use it in areas where you have desireable plants. Even diluted runoff can cause severe problems with plants several feet away from a treated area. To discourage moss from growing, sweep debris off the bricks regularly to help increase air circulation and keep the surface of the outdoor rug as dry as possible. Hope this helps and good luck!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"