Moles - Knowledgebase Question

Pensacola, Fl
Question by buckles863
Help! The moles are running me out of my yard. I've tried used cat litter to scare them off and the gopher and mole pellets that are lethal to them. Nothing's helping. Thanks in advance for your help.
Elizabethe

0

Trapping is the only sure-fire way of eliminating moles. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you?ll reduce the population of the creatures. Healthy soil naturally has a large population of insects. As long as the insects inhabit the soil, moles and gophers will be attracted. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles from the landscape.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"