Thornless blackberries pruning - Knowledgebase Question

Rome, Ge
Question by slanders142
When and how should I prune thornless blackberries? I am seeing long canes forming and I am trying to keep these bushes compact and growing on a trellis. Thanks for any help.

0

There are both erect and trailing varieties of thornless blackberries. For erect blackberries, let them grow unpruned the first year. The second season, cut the top of the primocanes off when they reach 3-4 feet high to encourage lateral branching. The following spring trim back the lateral branches on the now fruiting canes to 12-18 inches before bud break in the spring, then prune out these canes when they are finished fruiting. Trailing blackberries need a trellis to grow on. They are not tipped, the canes are just pulled up and tied on the trellis.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"